Avid has recently announced the release of Pro Tools 2023.12, packed with numerous updates and improvements. The most significant feature is the integration of Dolby Atmos Renderer, which allows users to mix and monitor Atmos content directly within the DAW, without connecting to Dolby’s external application. Furthermore, the update enhances markers and memory location capabilities, I/O setup and routing colour-coding options. In this review, we will delve into the features of the new update and weigh its pros and cons.
Key Features List..
1. Integrated Dolby Atmos Renderer
2. Multiple Marker Rulers in Edit Window
3. Improved Memory Location Functionality
4. I/O Setup and Routing Colour-Coding Options
5. Enhanced Pro Tools Sketch Interoperability
6. AAX Plug-in Cache Improvements
7. Supported on Windows 10/11 and macOS 12.7 to 13.6
1. The integration of Dolby Atmos Renderer saves time and effort by enabling users to mix and manage Atmos content directly within Pro Tools Studio and Ultimate, without the need for an external application.
2. The update supports a variety of channel formats, including binaural, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, and 7.1.4, providing flexibility for audio producers.
3. Enhanced marker and memory location capabilities make it easier to search and organize files within Pro Tools, speeding up the workflow.
4. Colour-coding options for I/O setup and routing paths improve visualization and organization, saving time when working on complex projects.
5. Pro Tools Sketch’s improved interoperability allows users to drag and drop MIDI and audio files, maintaining their processed sound and making it easier to integrate with the DAW.
6. AAX plug-in cache improvements result in optimized plugin performance.
7. Free upgrade for Pro Tools users with an active subscription or perpetual license with a current Upgrade Plan.
1. Although the integrated Dolby Atmos Renderer offers many benefits, it lacks some features available in Dolby’s external application such as Dolby Atmos Music Panner support, built-in room correction tools, and additional speaker configurations.
2. MacOS 14 (Sonoma) is not yet supported due to some known issues, limiting compatibility for macOS users.
Pro Tools 2023.12 is a promising update that enhances the overall user experience by integrating Dolby Atmos Renderer, improving markers and memory locations, and incorporating more efficient I/O routing. The colour-coding feature simplifies organization while Pro Tools Sketch’s interoperability allows users to maintain processed sounds when switching between different file types. While it lacks some external application features and compatibility with macOS 14, it is still a valuable upgrade for existing users or those considering Pro Tools as their primary DAW.
Pro Tools 2023.12 is available now for users with an active subscription or perpetual license with a current Upgrade Plan. The latest version of Pro Tools Sketch can be downloaded via Apple’s App Store.