The SSL PlateVerb is an impressive new addition to SSL’s range of plug-ins, designed to emulate the unique sound of classic plate reverb units. With two separate algorithms to replicate the sonic, mechanical, and damping properties of a physical plate, the PlateVerb offers a faithful recreation of vintage devices, while also incorporating a range of modern features for added versatility. With its built-in ducking capabilities, freeze function, and more, the PlateVerb is an excellent choice for those looking for a top-quality plate reverb plug-in.
1. Flexible Reverb Controls: The PlateVerb offers a variety of controls to shape the reverb, including Time, Size, Early/Late, Density, and Colour parameters, allowing users to create a wide range of sounds.
2. Infinite Reverb and Kill Button: The Freeze button allows users to create infinite reverbs, while the Kill button mutes the input to the reverb, letting the effect decay naturally.
3. Input and Output Controls: Gain (input) and Pre-Delay knobs control the input levels and timing of the reverb, while the Mix and Gain (output) controls adjust the balance between the dry and wet signals.
4. High and Low Damping Parameters: These controls help to shape the tonal characteristics of the reverb by limiting the reverb time in the high and low-frequency regions.
5. Built-in Ducking: The PlateVerb includes a built-in ducking function, which automatically lowers the reverb signal when the input signal crosses a user-defined threshold, helping to maintain clarity in the mix.
6. Attack and Release Controls: These parameters allow users to fine-tune the behavior of the ducking function, while an external side-chain input option is also provided.
7. Undo and Redo Functions: These convenient features enable users to easily experiment with different settings, reverting to previous configurations if necessary.
8. A/B Comparison Tool: This built-in tool allows users to compare two different setting configurations, making it simple to determine the best sound for a particular mix.
9. Factory Presets: The PlateVerb includes a collection of factory presets to help users get started quickly.
10. Compatibility: Tested on Windows 10, 11, macOS 11 (Big Sur) up to 13 (Ventura). Available in VST, VST3, AU, and AAX formats.
1. Authentic Plate Reverb Sound: The PlateVerb does an excellent job of replicating the distinctive sound of classic plate reverb units, providing a versatile and authentic-sounding plug-in.
2. Modern Features: The inclusion of features like ducking, freeze, and undo/redo functionality sets the PlateVerb apart from vintage-inspired competitors.
3. User-friendly Interface: The GUI is well-designed, making it easy for users to navigate and control the various parameters.
4. Compatibility: Available in multiple formats and compatible with a wide range of operating systems.
5. Pricing Options: With different pricing and purchase options, including Rent-to-Own and subscription-based plans, the PlateVerb is accessible to a variety of users.
1. Price: At $99.99, the PlateVerb may be a bit pricey for some users, particularly when compared to some competing plugins.
2. Learning Curve: While the PlateVerb is user-friendly overall, some users may find it challenging to achieve the desired results without spending some time familiarizing themselves with the various controls.
The SSL PlateVerb is an outstanding plate reverb plug-in that offers an authentic vintage sound along with many useful modern features. Its versatile and user-friendly interface allows for the creation of an extensive variety of reverb sounds, making it an ideal choice for both beginners and seasoned professionals. While the price may be on the higher side, the PlateVerb’s quality and unique features make it an excellent investment for those seeking a top-tier reverb plug-in.